Monday, November 16, 2009

Close but no Cigar: again and again and again...

Since I didn't manage to get a live game going over the weekend, I focused my attention on MTTs at Pstars. I crawled itm in the Daily 30 K on Friday for a min-cash.

I also won a Sunday Million hyper-turbo fpp satelite. These are essentially Steps tourneys based on FPPs with 5 levels. There is one slight difference though. The blinds increase every 3 minutes, antes from first round and you only start with 300 chips! Crazy shove fest all the way requiring huge amounts of luck, but a lot of fun! I made it to level 3 before losing.

Yesterday, I also played a 300 man 100 FPP Sunday Million tourney. The winner of the touney wins a $215 ticket to the Sunday Million. Second place gets nothing. MrSmith and I were playing the same type of touney at the same time. Things became quite hectic as we were playing the final tables next to eachother and making outrageous moves in an attempt to win! Asking eachother for adice and fist pumping everytime we stacked someone. But, how do you put someone on a hand range in a tourney like this LOL! MrSmith busted out nr 3 of 300 (so damn close!). I got heads up in mine with a nice chiplead vs a passive weak player and was eyeing my 215 cash. The blinds were insane and this guy kept folding his sb! I got all in against him 3 times, each with the better hand and managed suckout river losses on all of them. The final hand we were all in preflop. I had pocket 10s vs his 98o. He picked up an 8 on the flop and another 8 on the river for trips and the win! MrSmith can attest that I wasn't too happy about that, as you can imagine...

MrSmith and Klokkhammer also caught some of the action in the Sunday 250K. There were 32 thousand players yesterday. Standard TAG game all the way for me from start to finish. I had a very nice chiplead early, but lost half my stack in an all in sb vs bb confrontation in which my AKs bricked. . After that I was short stacked for the next three hours. I caught some hands and some luck, and managed to double up near the bubble with 3500 players remaining. I kept my stack alive with an M of 5 for several hours. My all in raises won the blinds but my good hands never got called allowing me to double up and get back in the game. With only 900 players remaining (1:30 in the morning) I was blinding out and forced to shove utg without even looking at my cards. No love for me on that hand, and I was sent to the rail with a $70 buck cash. Once again I was almost deep...

The golden ring is quite elusive!

Roland

11 comments:

  1. Well done Roland! Viewing the amount of players still left at 11pm I understood that it could be quite late.

    Question is how late would it be if you had gone to the final table?

    Sometimes I am sceptical about entering a major tournament, because if it ends up seriously (quite rare that this happens!), you really are committed to sit there the whole night.

    PS! It is OK to be a bit "steamy" after a hand where you loose on a turn/river combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Klokkhammer

    I don't worry about how late it gets in the big MTTs. Normally, you bust out a decent hour. If you are lucky enough to still be playing the next morning when it is time to go to work, then you are already very deep in the tourney and playing for a huge cash. I would gladly call in sick in order to play the final table in the Sunday Million!

    Yesterday's tourney, Sunday 250K, lasted 9 hours ending at 6:30 this morning. First place paid 26.5 K. Sencond place went to "pokEarl" from Oslo.

    PS:I was a bit steamy because it was the third time HU vs a pretty bad player that I got all in with the best hand preflop and yet got rivered. Not to mention that there were 215 dollars on the line :) At least I avoided completely tilting in the other tourneys I had going at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I wasn't too concerned about my 3rd. in the Million satellite, they are so donkish that skill only plays a small part.

    Anyway, currently I am donking off 150,- on Stars today.
    Results so far;
    12/180 turbo (28th. ok loss, shortstacked) 3,30R/180 turbo. (out in 36th., lost ATs to A2o shorter stack, then crippeled)
    12/180 turbo (out in 72nd, very ul loss)
    6,50/45 (10th. AQs loss to ATs hitting set)
    27/45 (44th???, that's bad. QQ pf raise called by 88 hitting set, couldn't get away from the hand)
    + some other results I can't remember, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fortgot to mention a KQs in bb hitting a nut flush on turn but losing to AT hitting the boat, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooner or later one of us is going to get on a heater. I hope...

    i was just reading about Boku87. Even he has had some serious downswings along the way. But playing 1000 games a day, it is easier to write of a "bad day" than playing 1000 games over a year and writing off the whole year as "bad luck". Mathematically, it they are the same though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The a 45th. in another 12/180, raised AQo and was committed vs a shorter stack who had AKs. forced AI next hand with 44 which won, but never recovered. Only 24,- to go, heyhey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to watch Boku87, his style is very technical and he is smart enough to move down to lower buy-ins when he's running bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finally a 12th. in a 12/45. Raised button+1 with 33 and got called by TT. I have 12,- left for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice finishes in the MTTs! You guys have obviously figured out something that works in those tourneys. As some (American) football player was quoted in the newspaper this morning as saying, it's all about opportunities. As long as you're playing well and keep plugging away, sooner or later you'll finish deep ITM and your return will approximate your EV.

    I've experimented from time to time with not looking at the cards until the river once I'm all-in. After all, if you're all-in pre-flop on a coin flip, you know you're going to win half the time and lose half the time. How you get there and what order the cards come off the deck in is irrelevant. Hitting the flop only to lose to a two-outer on the river (or vice versa) just adds to the emotional rollercoaster ride, sort of like checking one's stock portfolio every day, without affecting the bottom line. But not looking isn't easy to do!

    P.S. My 10-chip sample pack of Paulson chips riffles beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just to finish it up for the day, a 7th ITM!!!. in a 3/45, lol. AK button AI vs Q6s bigstack hitting Q.

    ReplyDelete