Thursday, March 1, 2012

WBCOOP Event 21: NLHE Turbo Shootout

I played this WBCOOP event last night. Being a shootout, each table plays like a single table sng with the winner progressing to the next round. It started with 100 tables with two or three players on each and starting stacks of 3000 chips. Top 100 players are itm winning an $11 scoop ticket. Top 10 (round 2 winners) win a $33 ticket and the winner got a $150 ticket or something.

There were three players on my table. To my left was a sitout. To my right was a true donk. He raised every hand preflop and followed with a c-bet. That is fine, but he also showed me his cards every single time he won! If I raised, he would call my raise on every street then reraise all in on the river ending the hand by flashing his hand to me. I had plenty of chips and could afford to be patient. I value raised preflop, but let him have the pot if I missed the flop. Finally after about thirty hands I picked up AQo on the button and made a standard preflop raise. The villian called. The flop was A10J rainbow. I c-bet half the pot and he called. The turn was a K giving me the nut straight. I bet about 30% of the pot and he called. The river was another low card. I checked, he shoved holding two pair with KJ and I stacked him - nice! After that I just needed to finish off the autofolding sitout guy. Once I had won my table I started watching the Pokerstars pros playing in this tourney.

Battle of the Sitouts!
WizardOfAhhs was on a table with only one other player. Both were sitouts which meant they just kept trading blinds back and forth- LOL! I called a mod and she explained that they have rules for handling these types of situations. They kept trading blinds with only a few tables still playing, but finally the table was closed. The pro was deemed the loser but the other guy made the top 100! Perhaps he thought sitting out was his best chance to beat a Pokerstars pro! It is worth mentioning that there is an $11 scoop ticket bounty put on all the pros playing in the WBCOOP. Did the sitout guy win this bounty as well...!?

By the time round two started it was one in the morning. A ten man table was going to take more time than I cared to invest. I waited until I picked up a premium hand and made a move. I reraised all in preflop holding QQ vs a guy that had played 60% of the hands thus far. He called holding K9o. The board rand K9x9x - LOL! I won a $11 ticket and could finally go to bed.

This WBCOOP has been fun!

Roland GTX

2 comments:

  1. Good one Roland! 11,- ticket is fine when u need some sleep. I had a similar experience a couple of years ago in a 11,- 2x shootout for a Sunday Million ticket. 2 Seats were guaranteed, but only 30 "or so" players regged, thus creating a small overlay. That means only 3-4 players pr. table in the first shootout (10 tables). We were only 3 at my table and there was 1 sitout. I suggested to the "playing guy" at my table that we blinded out the sit-out in order to create a fair HU since it would take a looooong time when levels were at 15 minutes. He didn't understand and kept playing similar to your villain Roland, but fortunately I knocked him out early. My sit-out guy woke up with less than 3 bb's and doubled up twice, then he lost his connection again and I saw him off. At the FT I met a famous Norwegian skier and he knocked me out in 4th. place with 99 vs AJ. He won one of the 2 tickets to the Sunday mill and is now a Supernova and has played the WSOP main event + cashed! Strange to think that we were on quite equal terms 2 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed Northug can grind enough to make SuperNova. I guess there is a lot of hotel time on the tour...

    ReplyDelete