Thursday, June 3, 2010

More on Knockout Tourneys

After rereading my previous post I realized that 40% ROI sounded a bit outrageous and thus needed an explanation. I have played 47 $1,40 Knockout single table SnGs this week (4 sets of 12). I have been ITM 55% of the games which is pretty standard.

If I ignore all bounties and only look at my ITM prize money then I have a 19% ROI which is better than when I was 12 tabling the standard $1.20 sngs.

($78.30 in ITM cash) - (47 games x $1.40 = $65.80 invested) = 12.50 profit / 65.80 = 19%

Now let’s look at the bounties. Since I play so tight, I have been worried about earning enough bounties to make these knockouts profitable. Typically, when I move all in before the bubble I have less chips than the villain and don’t win a bounty even though I double up. (There is an interesting strategy note connected to this, but I’ll talk about that another day.) Most of my bounties have come from the end game. Furthermore, if you win a bounty but don’t get ITM, it is difficult to track them since you don’t get the e-mail notification. I’ve started noting my exact bankroll before starting a set. Then I can calculate how many bounties I’ve won from the non-itm tourneys by looking at the difference between the e-mails and my roll.

On average my bounty wins look like this:
3 bounties when taking 1st place
2 bounties for 2nd
1 bounty for 3rd
0,25 bounties for non-itm finishes

In total I have won 58 bounties throughout the 47 tourneys for $14.50. That is more than I have profitted from the prize money! Now when I add the bounty money to my itm profit my ROI jumps to 41%!

Previously I was concentrating on the $3.25 45 man turbos. I would have to have a 17% ROI in these in order to equal the profit from playing these $1 knockouts. Furthermore, I would have to manage that while multitabling 12 tables. I can’t do that.

I think I’m going to continue playing these for a few months to get a better estimate of my ROI at this level. I would like to get about 500 games under my belt. Hopefully, I can use this time to build my bankroll and improve my multitabling end game. The next buy-in level is $3.00 buy-in + 0.35 fee + 0.75 bounty = $4.10. Remind me not to start testing these until I’m rolled for it:)

Roland GTX
PS: I’m going away for the weekend. So, no poker for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment