Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Another AK Question

What do you think the villian is holding and what is your suggested line? Here is the situation and my thoughts:

$82 Step 3 single table regular speed sng. 1st and 2nd win Step 4 ticket, 3rd-5th win repeat of Step 3. There are 8 players remaining and the blinds are 25/50. The villian has bout 1900 chips and I have just over 1600 chips. The villian, UTG +1, limps as he has done several times already. He seems ok, but plays more loose-passive than I play. It folds to me in btn +1 and I am holding AKo. I raise 200 (4x) and it folds back around to the villian who flat calls.  I estimate his most likely holding to be a medium pocket pair, maybe sc like KQ and at worst AQs. He seems too passive and out of postion to be playing a premium hand. The is now 475 in the pot.

The flop comes KJ5 rainbow and he checks to me. I have TPTK and make a standard 300 raise. He flat calls again. I'm not too sure what to think now. He could have a set of Js, but why not check-raise with the non-nut set? KQ or AQ still seem possible giving him a drawing hand or top pair with second best kicker. Or something like a middle pair (10s) if he thinks that I have and A, missed the flop and am making a standard C-bet. There is now 1075 in the pot.

The turn is an A giving me top two pair. His line thus far makes him holding Q10 seem unlikely. So, I'm not worried about a straight. The villian checks to me again. I have about 1100 chips remaining. What is my best line?

Roland

6 comments:

  1. I would check. The only draw that makes sense on that flop is QT (probably suited) so you're either way behind a straight or set (probably fives) or way ahead of some hand like AJo, QJs or JTs.

    Unfortunately I already know I have a conflict this Sunday so I'll have to take my 3 time zone leader board points and run. GL all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input Benko. Is check-calling out of postition preflop with Q10s something you see in a $30 sng? I'll wait and see if MrSmith or the others chime in before I tell you what I did:)

    Sorry about Sunday. I was hoping to see you there.

    Roland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check - flat call on both flop and turn on warns me he is either very loose or pocket 5's. I would never limp utg+1 with JJ even at early blinds. I had the exactly same hand (AK) in reverse positions only yesterday. I was utg+1 and made a standard 2,5x raise that was flat called by "you" (button in this case). Flop was KJx rainbow and I bet standard leading out on flop + turn (which was the A). 2p and river x I didn't check like your villian, a last bet approx. 35% of the pot he flat called again showing AK (other suit) and we split the pot. Anyway, you know me guys - I would probably have gone AI pf (even tho it's early) cause I love to pick up the 125 chips uncontested, or take the coin flip there and then. I think I would check the turn like Benko if in ur seat. Let us know what happened........ I'm anxious to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, at the moment, the only thing that seemed possible was that he had flopped a set and was ahead or that he was a donk and calling with a losing hand. His passive play made me think he was behind. I could have checked, but I hate giving free cards. More importantly, if I check, then he will most likely lead out on the river with a smallish 30% bet. I would have had a hard time folding top two pair. If I called and lost on the river, I would be fairly short stacked. Thus, the only remaining option was shoving on the turn with a pot sized all in raise. This gave me decent fold equity, he might call with a worse hand, and if he was ahead, I might get lucky on the river.

    He called with a set of Js. I bricked the river and was out of the tourney.

    If you check the turn, what do you do when they fire out a 300-400 chip bet on the river with only 1100 chips left?

    Thanks for your help :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd call and be the shortstack with 6-700 left. More than enough to get back when blinds are still at 25/50, lol! Weird play tho, limp utg+1 with JJ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree with MrSmith. Tougher decision if he pushes all-in on the river.

    I think the problem with shoving on the turn here is there aren't very many hands worse than yours that can call (maybe AJ). And if he's behind, he doesn't have that many outs. So I would prioritize pot control and conserving chips (in case he's ahead) over protecting your hand and not giving a free card (if you're ahead).

    I haven't played a full table SNG in a long time and there's less open limping at 6-max but it wouldn't surprise me to see a loose passive player open limp and call a raise OOP with QTs (though small/medium pairs are more common).

    ReplyDelete